Its been slow. I mean, its been months! A project I thought would take me a couple of weeks... ok, a month or so... has taken ages. Partly cause it was a bigger job than I thought (ain't it always?) and secondly cause I haven't actually been working on it as regularly as I'd planned.
Things happen. I get busy. You know how it goes. Sometimes a book just has to be read, or a TV show becomes an addiction you can't ignore.
Despite that, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now.
This last week I finished the walls and ceiling. Those were the big things.
The ceiling was the hardest. I used 3mm MDF sheets to cover the flakey, gappy, holey baltic pine ceilings. I'd have loved to remove the baltic pine to reuse but the job would have been way too big. I opted to just cover it, last thing I wanted was stuff falling down on me every time I groomed a dog. Now I have a smooth surface to paint.
The electrician is coming tomorrow to put my lights in - fluoros so I can see! There are no windows, just the one in the door, so I need plenty of artificial light.
Speaking of windows, I've made the window/door frame and have perspex to put in it, it just needs to be painted.
As you may remember, the right hand wall is covered in recycled masonite. It needs a good wash before painting. And everything needs undercoating before I paint the entire space white.
I'm leaving the center panel with its shabby paint look. I love it.
It was really hard to do this room cause nothing is straight. The ceiling and walls don't have straight edges. Look at the gaps! I did all kinds of dodgey patches to try to minimise gaps. I also ended up lining the back wall which I thought I'd leave as it was (ie old) but I had pine left over. Not enough to go all the way up the ceiling though. I used leftover bits of MDF at the top. Very unevenly. I figure once the entire space is painted white and I put things on and against the walls no one will notice.
Don't look at the mess in the workshop outside the inner door.
This is better. Forget you saw that mess.
The room is clean now, swept, tools and rubbish cleared out. I just have to wash walls and move the compressor back to its spot in the garage and I'm ready to paint.
Outside in the tiny yard I've put flashing against the bottom weather boards to stop rain soaking in over the concrete slab. Hopefully that will stop any dampness - not so much in the new grooming room but in the old one.
I've sprayed weeds and have cardboard and newspaper to spread over the ground, then I'll get pine bark to fill the space which will keep it from getting muddy.
Meanwhile, it's been so windy here that I've had to go to extreme measures to save my little silver birch. There was a huge cosmos flowering to the left of it but it was broken by the wind. So sad.
The garden is looking awful right now. Everything that flowered in early spring has died (or gone to seed). I now have to find the time to cut back the dead stuff and pull out weeds. Then all I can do is wait for the summer flowering stuff to start looking good.