Friday, 6 December 2013

an old bathroom cabinet gets an update


I've had this little cabinet for a long time now. Back when you could find solid timber bathroom cabinets at the tip shops. For the last few years these guys have become scarce. I've only seen plastic (yuck) or metal ones, usually that really awful rental flat stuff.

When I found this cabinet it had the same mirror (which shows its age) but it was painted in layers of thick paint - not in a chippy yummy way at all. Just yuck. The inside was stained and even yuckier...



What I did was sand all the paint off using a grinder with a sanding disc cause it was a serious job which called for the big guns. 

The back of the cabinet and inside of the door was rotten, so I kept the mirror but put in a new sheet of ply to cover the back. I replaced the back with some old tin stuff I'd found. I'm told its siding from an above ground swimming pool. I don't know. I just liked the look of it.

The metal contrasts nicely with the old distressed timber inside...


And the back has some bits of rust and discolouration cause, you know... its OLD.


Finally, I coated it all with some satin varnish to finish it off.


Originally I'd made my own knob for the door but it broke - and the magnetic catch I put inside the door is really strong and my knob didn't really give enough grip. So when I decided to revamp it last week I replaced the knob with a sash window pull. A nice old rusty one I had in my collection of drawer pulls and knobs.


When I was living in Fentonbury I had this little guy in my kitchen to hold coffee, tea, etc. Its never been used in a bathroom. But maybe, one day, if we ever get around to redoing our bathroom, it'll find a place in there.

Unless I sell it first.

z

Shared at:

http://www.funkyjunkinteriors.net/2013/12/salvaged-junk-christmas-candles.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed:%20blogspot/KCcu%20%28Funky%20Junk%20Interiors%29
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate you taking the time to read my blog and leave feedback! Come back soon. :)