Monday, 13 January 2014

the tiny guy is home


Chipmunk is home!

We picked him up today. You know we've been going up to see him every afternoon and slowly getting him used to being handled, lead and taking food from our mouths.

He's just SO cute.

He walked right up into the float behind Wayne. No fear, no panic, no trouble. He walked right up the ramp and that was that.

Of course, putting a miniature horse in a float meant for 'normal' sized horses was a new experience for Wayne. The breastplate/bar was above Chipmunk's forehead...

In the end Wayne rode in the back with him just in case, to make sure he was safe. When we got home the little man just talked off calmly - poodles jumping around him, sniffing his butt and barking, Wally carrying on in the paddock. It was all new but he took it all in his stride.



As if all that wasn't enough for the little guy in one day, Wayne walked him down the steps into the casita, all the way to the dutch door at the end where Wally was waiting to meet him new friend.




It was gorgeous.

But most of all, I couldn't believe how calm Chipmunk was through it all, through all the new stuff: home, animals, environment. He took it all in his stride. And for the first time ever, he let me touch him all over his body and legs and wasn't skittish at all. I got my fill of hugs today.

I'm so proud of him.

For now he's in the tiny yard off the casita, till he settles in. Then he'll move into the smallest of our paddocks. I don't know if I want him running with the big horses. He's just so small. I also want him close to the house so he can come in to 'play' more often.

He'll be like one of the dogs. I'd love it if he and the dogs would play together. Wouldn't that be cool!

z

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate you taking the time to read my blog and leave feedback! Come back soon. :)