Sunday, 9 February 2014

getting there slowly - kitchen update

Not much has actually happened in the kitchen yet, so the title of this post is misleading. However things are going to be happening. Soon, I hope.

This is where things are at.

Handyman has been over and worked on the end of the porch till he ran out of wood. That's semi enclosed for now and already making a difference when its really hot, and today when the wind picked up and it rained horizontally.


Yesterday evening we sat on the bench at the end of the garden and looked back at the house and I'm loving how its looking. I love the enclosed end of the porch and the way the retaining wall frames the house.


Just squint a little and picture the painting finished... perhaps with some decorative corners on the posts...

Meanwhile the electrician has put in the new meter box and the gooseneck thingy where the power comes into the house. We're waiting on the electricity company to come move the power before we can put the new window in the kitchen and finish lining the walls.

All the power points have been moved and we now have a power point outside for those times when you need power outdoors. Power has been pulled to where it'll be needed for the new stove, dishwasher and rangehood.

My kitchen maker has been to confirm measurements and will be placing the order on Tuesday (Monday is a public holiday here) and thinks the new kitchen will be ready to install in 3 weeks.

That means that the week before we need to rip out the old kitchen bench and cabinets, lift the lino and masonite on the floor and hopefully find floorboards in decent condition. If so, I'll need to give them a sand in preparation for the new cabinets to go in. If not we'll be putting the masonite back and organising vinyl for the new floor.

I really hope we have nice floorboards.

Soon as I get the precise measurements for the new benchtop I can give them to Handyman so he can start making it. Then it can go in soon as the cabinets are in place.

I'll have to organise delivery of the stove, rangehood and dishwasher so the kitchen can be put together at the same time. I think... The timing of this still kind of stumps me.

I know I need to organise a plumber gasfitter to come get everything ready for the stove and sink before they're put in place, then come back to connect them up...

Ditto with the electrician when he puts in the bits he needs to wire in.

Remind me never to do something like this again...

Meanwhile I found this little beauty at the tip shop while looking for something else. I think it might be the perfect mobile island bench for the new kitchen. All it needs is new handles, a bit of TLC, a shelf and castors. Oh, and a new top to match the benchtop Handyman is making.


On another note, the garden is going well. I'm waiting for 3 of the 4 of these plants-who's-name-I-have-forgotten to bloom so I can decide if and where I'll put them in the garden. I love the pink but I don't want red.


Wierd, but I don't remember planting these seeds... Remember, I never wanted yellow flowers in my garden and now I have plenty of yellow flowers.


Oh well. The garden is a work in progress. I can always dig up, pull out and move things I don't like.

Yesterday I planted a ton more seeds in pots so hopefully they'll start sprouting soon and I can add them to the garden. There are already a few things which are ready to be put in. Its just a matter of deciding where they should go and put them in.

I'll have a pretty garden yet!

z

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate you taking the time to read my blog and leave feedback! Come back soon. :)