Tuesday, 29 April 2014

false alarm - kitchen update

Ok, I'm curious how the women out there in blogdom can do these great reveals where they show 'after' photos featuring perfect rooms all set up with the right curtains, the right cushions, the right furniture, the right artfuly placed 'random' items.

Even when my kitchen is finished, it won't be finished enough for that perfect 'after' photo.

For one thing, I plan to put up shelves and I don't want to put them up till I live in it a while and decide where I want what...

For another, I won't have the perfect dishes for a while, and I won't have the kitchen dresser painted for who knows how long...

I guess you won't so much get a 'finished' photo but periodic 'after' photos every time I add to or change something... cause I'm nothing if not in a constant state of updating, rearranging and changing things.

Meanwhile, yes, you heard right.

The kitchen isn't finished yet.

It would have been finished but for the sink...

See, when Handyman was doing the plumbing, moving pipes from the old sink position to the new one (back when we had a hole in the floor), he calculated that the sink would be centered in the window and put the pipe there. But when he put the sink in the bench and showed it to me, the sink looked too far to the left.

Visually, the sink looks centered when its further to the right, cause the eye sees the bowls as the center.

So, Handyman moved the sink to where the boss (me) wanted it and now he has to find a joiner of some sort to connect the offset pipes.

Here are some photos I took this morning.


You can see the rangehood and glass splashback, the stove, the dishwasher with its protective film still on it, the sink with our two taps..


Same wall but you can see the cornice that needs painting and the handprints on the rangehood stainless steel cover.


This is the window into the living room. Note the decorative corner bits. Love them.

Now I have a dilemma. What type of window covering do I put on the window? A roller blind? Curtains? Lace? Doily curtains? Modern? Shabby? I have no idea. Well, I have an idea but I'm not sure. Any thoughts from my silent readers?

The window faces east so summer afternoons are hot hot hot. And on winter evenings I need a window covering that will keep the heat in. The rest of the time I want the window open to the view.

I await your thoughts.

z

1 comment:

  1. We have a wood blind on our west facing kitchen window. It's hot hot hot here in the summer too and keeps the sun heat to a minimum. There's also a huge fig tree outside that window that helps it not be so hot. What about that idea?

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to read my blog and leave feedback! Come back soon. :)