Friday, 18 April 2014

ouch - kitchen update

 

I woke up with a very stiff neck this morning. I've got a heat pack on it but to be honest I don't hold out much hope for that.

I'll just have to cowboy up and work through the pain.

Why, you may ask.

I finally got to do some actual work in the kitchen. I had planned to do the painting during the week, in short bursts every afternoon after work. But you know how it is. Daylight savings turns off, its dark at 6pm and my body says "wind down".

Not to mention that we've been home late almost every day this week and small bugs like to dive bomb wet paint at night.

So yesterday, my regular day off, was it. I got up early and got into it straight away.

I undercoated the ceiling and plaster wall in one type of undercoat. I undercoated the pine lined walls in another type. And I undercoated the door and window frames in oil based undercoat.

I undercoated the skirting boards which are cut and ready to go in. I want those suckers painted before they go in so I don't have to crawl around on the floor to paint them.

I didn't even stop for lunch.

Well... I did stop around 11am...

The dogs had been barking persistently for a long time before it registered that it was not normal. So I went out and sure enough, there was a wallaby near the dam.

An obviously sick wallaby.

Last year we had them dropping like flies in the area. Cats spread toxoplasmosis, which native animals have no immunity to. It attacks their nervous system, they go blind and wobbly and basically die of starvation.

I did not want that to happen to this little fellow. I put on my boots, grabbed a blanket and a dog cage and went out to catch it.

It was obviously blind cause it couldn't see me but it had keen hearing. It ran off towards the stable and trapped itself in a corner where I managed to catch it easily.

I took it to the vet. If there's a chance it can be cured they'll pass it on to wild life carers. If not they will put it down. A way better death than weeks of getting sicker and starving to death.

I hate it when I see them suffer. That was my good deed for the day.

Anyway, I grabbed a frappe from McDonald's cause I'm addicted to them and if there's something I just can't resist, its temptation. The vet is right opposite McD's....

You could say I had a liquid lunch.

I didn't stop till after 5pm when all undercoats were done.

I also put in a bit of time packing all my fabrics into plastic containers to empty the old kitchen dresser which I'll be moving to the kitchen.

This morning I have a dog to groom, then its back to work. doing topcoats. I hope to have one topcoat on everything today, another tomorrow.

Handyman will be here tomorrow to get back to work and he promises he'll work through till the kitchen is finished. He told the other guy he's been working for that he has to finish my job. Even if he has to sleep here to get it done by the end of the week.

I better get the guest room ready!

z


No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate you taking the time to read my blog and leave feedback! Come back soon. :)