Tuesday, 23 September 2014

polished concrete


Have you noticed how suddenly its all about polished concrete? Like its the big new thing, better than sliced bread, bigger than Ben-Hur, the new in thing, the must have...

I'm confused.

I grew up in Greece (well from aged 10-24 anyway) and to us there polished concrete - with exposed aggregate - was everywhere.

It wasn't trendy.

It was boring, old fashioned and we couldn't wait to get rid of it. When Dad built our new house in the seventies, he went for carpet and tiles. All new homes in Greece that I know have floorboards, tiles or carpet.


Yet here in Australia, everyone seems to be going bezerk over polished concrete.

I'm confused.

Mind you, I get the polished concrete where the aggregate isn't exposed. Its just shiny grey and somehow more interesting to me... cause to me, the exposed aggregate type of polished concrete is not special.


Its the floor in my aunt's kitchen. Its the floor in our first house till we put carpet over it. Its the floor outside the monastery on Paros, and in the church, and just about every single old floor I ever stepped on.


How did it become the new up market thing?

Someone better tell all those greeks they're on the cutting edge of interior design!

z

1 comment:

  1. No doubt this is an excellent post I got a lot of knowledge after reading good luck. Theme of blog is excellent there is almost everything to read, Brilliant post.Marble Buffing

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to read my blog and leave feedback! Come back soon. :)