Tuesday, 16 September 2014

sam and the fly


I've had the pleasure lately to be working with a really talented young man called Sam. I work with Sam as an art tutor and we do wire work together. He lives in supported accommodation and my Junkyard Dog sculptures inspired his house manager to contact me in the hopes that Sam would like to try something new.

I love working with Sam. He has a great work ethic and gets so intense when he concentrates.

This is the first project we worked on together. I've named it Louie the Fly after the famous Mortein commercial.


Sam had never worked with wire before, so this is a little wonky in some ways, but beautiful in the randomness of the wire work.


Louie has been filled with broken and discarded items, mostly plastic - junk really... kind of perfect for a fly.


Basically I showed Sam how to work with the wire, we made the body of the fly first. At that stage it was just a roundish shape made of wire. I looked at it, thought about what it could be and formed the frame for the head. From there I did the structural/shape and Sam did the fine wire weaving work.

The current project is looking amazing.

Sometimes I love my job!

z

PS. Do you have any idea how hard it is to take photos of wire sculptures?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate you taking the time to read my blog and leave feedback! Come back soon. :)