Monday, 9 February 2015

a kettle collection and an old cupboard


I love my depression cupboard.

Wayne and I bought it on a spending spree when we bought the farm. Up till yesterday it lived in the guest room holding linen.

It wasn't very good for holding linen and I didn't like it in there so I decided to replace it and put it where I can see it and enjoy it.


Its actually not in great condition. The top bit needs to be re-attached properly (right now its got huge nails that've been hammered in randomly but have come loose) and the base has rotted away in parts... it probably spent a lot of time in someone's damp shed. Thankfully its not musty.

And it still has the remnants of the sold sticker on it cause I never saw it often enough that it would bother me enough to get out the eucalyptus oil to remove it.

I love it cause its made of old crates. When you open it up inside you can see them. During the depression a lot of furniture was made from crates cause they were easily available. Back then stuff came in real wood boxes, not cardboard and polystyrene.

Today old crates cost almost as much as a new lounge suite.



So, the old cupboard is now on the front  porch, in the enclosed area protected from the weather, and it holds the broom, steam mop and vacuum cleaner, as well as all kinds of stuff which don't need to be in the pantry: cleaning products, light globes, etc.

And the top now holds my collection of old kettles and some of my succulents.


Of course, where it is it covers the bottom half of the window, but I don't mind that. I love the way the light comes in over the kettles.

And I love the way you can see the crates writing through the window.


I'm thinking of making a small doily curtain for the top part of the window to finish off the quaint look.

One day, when I get around to more sewing projects.

z

Shared at:


No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate you taking the time to read my blog and leave feedback! Come back soon. :)