Thursday, 30 April 2015

coal box upcycled to vegetable bin


We have a new potato and onion bin.

Up till now I'd been keeping our potatos, onions and garlic in old flour bags in the vintage wire fruit basket thingy I'd bought a few months ago.


But you know potatoes like the dark... so when I saw this coal box at the auction last week I had to have it. Now the wire basket stand is holding fruit like it was meant to, and our potatoes are all snug in the pantry in their own light deprivation box.

All I did to the coal box when I brought it home was give it a clean and line the bottom with newspaper. It has some rust dots on it but I think that adds to the character.

I generally prefer things in their original rusty, imperfect state - and the handle is very unusual.





Here it is in its new home.



It fits perfectly in the little nook right next to the bit of timber I put in to hold the shelf up where it bowed under the weight of the microwave.

I may not always do things 'pretty' but they work!

z

Shared at:


2 comments:

  1. What a great idea, I love it! I think I'd have to have it out on display for everyone to see. Thanks for sharing at Vintage Inspiration Party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Betsy. It kinda is on display as the way everyone gets into our house is through the mudroom, through the pantry and into the kitchen. In country homes no one uses the front door!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to read my blog and leave feedback! Come back soon. :)