Monday, 6 April 2015

moving forward on the house painting


We have a week off work for Easter. Naturally my list of projects to do is huge.

Massive.

Long even.

One thing I planned to do, providing it didn't rain, was finish painting the outside of the house. Its not too much to want a single colour on all the walls...


Around here painting the house is more an ongoing project than a 'do it once and don't do it again for 10 years' kind of thing.

I think I started painting the house about 4 years ago.

I'm a speedy worker.


Its still not finished by the way... the back porch needs the high areas done and, realistically, it needs another coat already due to the exposure on that side.


So, when we built the front porch I had painted all that front area (except the beams up above). Then we put in a new window in the kitchen and needed to patch walls. And we decided to enclose that area of the porch so there was a lot of raw wood to paint.

This past summer I gave all those spots an undercoat and thought that, really, how hard could it be to finish the job with a couple of topcoats?


One thing I'd been planning on from the start, was a window shelf for plants under the kitchen window. I had this little grey one from the living room so put it on the outside of the enclosed porch. The brackets need adjusting so its come off now, but I was dying to see what it looked like.


Kinda cute.


It sits above the gas bottles for our kitchen. Another project for that mythical 'one day' is to make a box to hide both the gas bottles and the rubbish bin. Two birds - hide the bottles and keep the bin safe from the dogs.

Not that my dogs rip open rubbish bags. They prefer live chickens... sigh.


I had bigger plans for the kitchen window. This old shelf was in the white timber shed which is being used just for storage. I got Wayne to remove it yesterday and with his help (its a heavy sucker) I screwed it onto the wall under the window.


All I did was give it a good scrub and a light sand to get rid of loose paint. I love the chippy look and the various colours showing through it.


One thing I'm doubting now is its position. I think I need to put it lower. The kitchen window isn't deep and having the plants overlap the window so much makes the window look narrower, and from inside I feel like I've cut out some of the view.

What do you think? I'm thinking of lowering it by about 5-6in.

Another thing I plan to do is cut a frame for that window. All our other windows have aluminium frames which were blue and I'm (still) in the process of painting white. A frame around the window will tie it in with the other windows better.

So, after doing about 2 hours of work on the second coat this morning I had to stop. I felt exhausted, weak, had chills and a bit nauseous. I hope I'm not coming down with something. Not on my holiday!

I think I've done enough for today.

z

Shared at:

and

8 comments:

  1. I love the window ledges along with pots and containers of different sizes and shapes. It makes for an interesting view. I hope you aren't getting sick, too. That would be no fair! The joys of owning a house! Gotta love it. When we had our house, it had siding, so no painting was needed. But, keeping up the yard was a chore. We had so many plans that we had started before we moved. I miss the plants and trees. Some of those that grew in Ohio don't grow in North Carolina. Katie had an interview with a school in Pennsylvania, so a move back north might happen, so we're keeping our fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! I love your collections of random tins and containers. They are just as pretty as the plants! Wonderful feast for the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love, love, love your window shelves . . . oh, and your porch couldn't be more amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys. The porch often becomes a hold all area for everything we finished using but don't want to put away just yet. One day the porch will look gorgeous and I'll take photos to prove that it can be done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i loooove all of those succulents. great way to bring in some fresh greens with that shelf.
    enjoy,
    b

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your creative and clever use of planting containers. I'll never look at a rusty can the same way again:-) Thanks so much for sharing at Vintage Inspiration Party. I'll be featuring on my Facebook page this afternoon too.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to read my blog and leave feedback! Come back soon. :)