Sunday, 3 May 2015

small things big impact - a bit of a toilet roll holder


Day 3 - a rustic toilet roll holder


When we first moved into this house, the toilet was almost an outhouse. It was on the porch, outside the house. It was, literally a "room with a view". You could sit there, doing your business, and look out over the valley.

We really haven't done anything with the toilet since then, other than bring it into the house by enclosing the small porch to make a mud room. Its still 'outside' the house and you still freeze your butt off going out there in winter, but its no longer "exposed".

I've been wanting to improve the toilet since we moved in, but its never been a  priority.

I mean, really... its not top of the list of places you want to show off, right?

I do have plans. I bought paintable wallpaper to do the walls, I plan to fix the weather damaged door,  put in a shelf... all kinds of exciting things. Among which was a different toilet roll holder.

I've seen toilet roll holders made of non-toilet roll holder items and, being as we're horse lovers, I always thought a bit would make a good one.



Among all of Wayne's horsey things was this huge bit for a horse in harness. Its old and the colour is just gorgeous. You can't really tell in the photos, but it has a green patina to it.


I did consider trying to cut the bit somehow to make it into a roll holder, but I didn't want to ruin it... so I decided to use it as it is. That way I can recycle it at any time in the future.


Basically all I did was search my stash of junk for a bit of timber which was the right size to hold it. I found this hand sander thingy (I never know what to call these things yet I've done stuff with them before). I sanded it (ironic) and gave it a couple of coats of polyurethane, then added hooks underneath to hold the bit.


I had two options for the actual roll holding bit. One was this rusty metal spike (my favourite) or a piece of copper pipe I cut to size and flattened the ends so it would fit through the gaps.

I prefer the rusty spike, obviously.

I really dislike the brackets I have on it now, but it'll have to do for now. They're all I could find. I'll be fixing this up when I finally 'do' the toilet.

Oh, I also put on a new toilet seat, but no need for photos of that. We all know what a toilet seat looks like.

These surely were two small changes that had big impact.

z

Shared at:


1 comment:

  1. Gotta love quirky houses! But a toilet outside for all the world to see? That's a good one! I like how you've made the TP holder. Use what you have on hand works!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to read my blog and leave feedback! Come back soon. :)