Thursday, 18 June 2015

a place for everything - even headlamps

Got home the other evening and found a stomach on the garden path.

Yep.

A stomach.

No hair. No feathers. No head. No beak. No feet.

Nothing.

Just. A. Stomach.

A ruminant's stomach.

Seems the poodles thought it was time to up the challenge for me. Every time I find one of their kills, there's less of it to identify it by. I was able to identify the last specimen by the feathers and some guts.

This time all I got was a stomach. With munched up grass in it. I'd guess rabbit or wallaby... and given they haven't yet caught a rabbit (that I know of), I'd say wallaby.

At this rate I'll soon be an expert at identifying species from the inside out.

sigh.

Ok. At this point let me just say that I don't like my poodles killing anything, even rats or mice. Though whatever is living in our ceiling is asking for it...

I especially hate it when they kill wildlife or our ducks, chickens or geese. But they have a strong prey drive and they will kill any intruder in their yard. Its a fact of life and I've had to accept that my gorgeous fluffy dogs are real dogs... predators even.

But on a cheerier note, at least a more creative one, I finally created a place for Wayne's huge collection of headlamps.

He has a million of them. Battery operated, rechargeable, you name it, he has it. He bought one so he could go out to feed the horses in the dark. Then he bought a second as a spare. Then he got a rechargeable one. Then he found a brighter one. It goes on and on.

I don't care how many he has. They come in handy when I'm searching the yard for clues such as hair, feathers, a head... What I have a problem with is him recharging them all over the kitchen counters.


I had to create a spot for them which met these requirements:

  1. store all the headlamps in once spot and not all over the house
  2. a spot handy to grab one on the way out 
  3. a spot handy to put it back on the way back in
  4. the ability to store and recharge in one place

I had no idea how to do this. I didn't know what I wanted it to look like or where to put it.

In the end I went for quick and easy. I grabbed a bit of chippy old skirting board I had in the shed, drilled holes in it and jammed in some really big nails. I added a cool chippy green-blue door thingy. Just for fun I painted the heads of the nails pale green-blue to match.


I chose to put this new headlamp hanger on the front porch, in the enclosed area. Unfortunately there's no power there so I had to use a long extension cord going from the outdoor power point in the middle of the porch and a power-board mounted on the wall. I'll be managing the cords better once I find my box of cable clips...


I added this cute half planter basket to hold the chargers.


In order to do all this I had to move a few things over to the other side, so the kitchen window ledge is looking a lot busier.



I'm happy. The headlamps are off the kitchen counter. Wayne is happy cause he no longer has to search for headlamps I've moved.

Win win.

z

2 comments:

  1. Cool idea for the headlamps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea to coral those things!

    I have a story about headlamps. When Katie was doing her scientific research, she had to get up in the middle of the night when it was dark. She would put a headlamp on so as not to disturb me by turning on the bedroom light. More often than not, I was aroused by the movement and little bit of noise in the room. I would open my eyes a little and tell her goodbye or say something else insignificant. Once I did that, she snapped her head toward me, because we all know how rude it is when you don't look at the person you are talking to. Seared. My. Retinas. Every. Single. Time. Thank goodness those late/early rises are long gone! This is one of those "Do you remember when..." conversations that will sustain us deep into our relationship! Things that are funny NOW when we can look back on it. Thanks for the memory!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to read my blog and leave feedback! Come back soon. :)