Monday, 8 June 2015

white eyelet curtains

A friend of mine at work once asked if I accepted charity. I said sure, I'm not too proud. Anything you don't want, give it to me. Old things, broken things, whatever. I'll most likely want them.

After all, I've worked hard to earn a reputation as a junk-addicted crazy poodle lady.

So, when my equally crazy friend Patrice asked if I'd like the old curtains from her living room, I said yes. Of course.


I'd admired those curtains before. I love eyelet curtains and I love white curtains (says the woman who bought metres and metres of grey and silver curtain fabric to make curtains for the living room). Anyway, they're not old. She's only had them for about a year.

Worst thing wrong with them was the bit of cat hair on the bottom, but hey, whats a few cat hairs between friends?

She also gave me a few plastic curtain rings and a couple of brackets to re-hang the dark grey curtain over the door ... that's our front door, the one we never use to walk in or out of the house, and it lets in so much cold wind in winter that I always hang a curtain over it. This year I couldn't find the curtain I'd used last year with its rings and brackets so I improvised. Not always a good thing. I had to take it off and put it up again, but it works better now.

But back to the white curtains Patrice gave me. They're nice and long so I did what I've never done before and hung them up as high as I could. We have a  pretty low ceiling in our living room so that's not really high, but turns out its the right height for the curtains. No hemming needed.


Patrice, bless her little cotton socks, also gave me some plasterboard toggle thingies for mounting the brackets. Well, after mucking around for ages, searching for the right brackets for the curtain, compromising on ones that 'will do' and fiddling with toggles and screws, I got them up.

All while listening to The Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood. Great movie.


I really like them.

Now I think I need to buy enough to do the other window which looks to the front of the house. They come ready-made as continuous curtains at Spotlight.

Next time I'll make sure I have the right brackets... and the right plasterboard fittings.

That'll make life easier.

Oh, I have a new drill. Its a cheapie that Wayne got me a couple of months ago. Its much lighter than my trusty old one which was probably my first power tool ever. And its got a chuck which is probably better for me as I can't really hand tighten enough.

So there you go.

I finally did something.

z

1 comment:

  1. "a junk-addicted crazy poodle lady" and "bless her little cotton socks"...always an entertaining post from you!!! Love it! {I'm in the process of getting caught up on my mail. I can't seem to delete them!}

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to read my blog and leave feedback! Come back soon. :)