Tuesday, 1 September 2015

a hardworking little box

Guess what?

This post isn't about something made with wire!

This is a little project I've had on the go for quite a while... Took me ages to finish it, then ages to get around to photographing it. But here it is...

I started with a plain box on castors I picked up at a tip shop. I couldn't find any before photos and, natually, I didn't take any before I began work on it. It was all the same colour you can see inside in the pic below - an orangey stained timber.

Yeech.


First thing I did was sand back the outside and give it a coat of paint.

Or four.

I started with white, then pink, then turquoise and lastly a pale grey. Mainly cause I couldn't make up my mind, but also cause I wanted it to look patchy.

That was the easy bit. Then I had to make a box for the drawer. In theory, how hard is it to make a box?

hmph,

I made the front using a collection of timber bits from the hardware store bin. Then I used some 12mm MDF to put the box together. I cut the pieces, put glue on them, then delicately balanced it all together and used masking tape to hold it together till it dried.

Yes. Masking tape.

What do you use?


Here's the front view of the box - its made up of three offcuts glued and nailed together, then stained to match the interior orangey colour. I also dry brushed the front with some of the grey.

I chose a rusty antique handle from my collection. It had some green patina on it but I added to it to give it more character.


Here it is finished.




Not bad for a project that took me something like 3 months to finish...




So, what would you use it for? A handy side table with storage. A bedside table for a futon bed. Put a cushion on it and its a footstool.

I'm sure it'll come in useful for something!

z

1 comment:

  1. Nice Zefi. The draw came out well :) Love it Mel

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to read my blog and leave feedback! Come back soon. :)