Sunday, 4 October 2015

my new office, or while the cat's away, the mice will play

 
Welcome to my new office.

Thing is, I had a nice office before. Let me remind you what it used to look like...



The office used to be the room beyond the bathroom, the room furthest from the living room. When making it over I ripped out the carpet and finished the floorboards, painted the peach blind, painted the walls, put up shelving... I did a lot of work making it a gorgeous room.

Then I never used it.

It was cold in winter. I used it as a store room. I'd open the door, toss something in, then close it again.

Meanwhile, the guest room was depressing. I painted it taupe when we moved in and its a dark room, with a small window. It was gloomy. On the down side the room was unwelcoming. On the up side, none of our visitors stayed long. :)

Anyway, I got the idea to swap the rooms. Make the guest room the prettier room, with the big window, lots of light and fresh air. Bring the office closer to the heater, with the carpet to keep it warmer, and make it more usable.

I began operation Room Swap on Friday, once Wayne had gone off to spend a weekend with friends watching the Grand Final and male bonding.

Here is what the guest room looked like once I removed almost everything and before I began painting.


I started painting before I got the bed out cause I needed help to do that. The colour I chose was Dulux Mountain Snow half strength. Its a much cooler white than the one I chose for the kitchen. It might be a bit stark with its undertones of grey, but I really wanted to crisp up the room. The taupe was really getting me down. Here it is after one coat on the bottom part.


After 2 coats.


And here it is finished. Its very white and bright, especially since I haven't got any window coverings.


Here is the same corner once the room was finished. Notice my new wardrobe? I've put shelves in it and am using it to store craft stuff. I've never distressed anything this much before and I'm not sure I got the balance quite right.


The desk I was using in the old office wouldn't go through the door to the new office, so I had to make do using the filing cabinets and an old shed door.


All I did was sand the door, it hasn't been finished in any way. I used an old crate to hold the dvd player and the TV I use as a large monitor. I no longer have a desktop and just connect the laptop to the TV when I need a bigger monitor.



Its a work in progress. I'm not showing you the other side as its still a bit of a mess, with things which need proper homes.


I love how the light comes in through that window and how bright the room looks in all white. Though it is hard to photograph it.


My favourite part of the room is the wardrobe and armchair. And the old wash board with photos of my mom. Even the old icon my aunt gave me when I was in Greece last time.



It took me all weekend. I just finished this afternoon, finally got (almost) everything out of the living room and cleaned the rest of the house. I have not finished the guest room... yet.

Here's a preview of the new guest room...



I told you I've been busy.

z

Shared at:





2 comments:

  1. Oh, gosh! Wayne may never go away for male bonding again! Or maybe he will when he thinks something needs to be different with the house! Surprise! Surprise! I wonder what he'll think. I guess as long as you don't touch HIS stuff, all will be well! Best wishes! (We have been in our new house for a month. There are plenty of boxes still strewn about!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL he already knows me. I told him what was coming and as long as he doesn't trip over all the crap in the living room and I dont move his stuff (much) he doesn't mind. :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to read my blog and leave feedback! Come back soon. :)