This is an embarrassing post... But in the interest of reality, here goes...
I'll start at the beginning:
Those of you who know me know that I like rearranging furniture. I also like re-assigning furniture and making it over. And over. Then moving it again.
It keeps me busy and Wayne confused.
When we first moved into our home I created an office for both myself and Wayne. He got an extra large desk and I got a cupboard door on filing cabinets. He never used his desk, preferring to work in the kitchen, so I created an office space in the living room for him using my original corner office desk.
There was nothing wrong with that desk... It was large. It was practical. But it didn't have drawers and it was made of melamine.
I dislike melamine.
So, I replaced it with something more my style.* I had this old office desk with metal legs and a crappy top. I put weathered timber on top and all was well with my soul.
Wayne lost his corner desk and had to adjust to less desk acreage.
*Cause it might be his desk, but its my style!
This new improved desk had the same issue as the corner melamine desk. No drawers. Wayne ended up with about 54 odds and ends to hold all his stuff. When you don't have drawers you have a small filing cabinet, an el cheapo metal and plastic drawer unit whose drawers fall out every time you pull them out, and a couple of bookcases...
No so pretty. Not the style I was going for.
Just before Christmas I decided it was time to move Wayne's office space.
(No, he has no say in this.)
I put a divider in the middle of the living room for the TV and moved Wayne to the other side so the first thing you see when you walk into the living room isn't his messy office desk.
Then, just to keep things interesting, I decided to change his desk.
We had this old desk in the garage since we'd moved here. I got Wayne to remove the top cause it was beyond repair - he'd been sitting his chainsaws on it. As you do. It was covered in oil.
The main issue with this desk was that the leg space was so narrow. Just imagine all the times you'd knock your knees on this!
I took the saw to it and cut it apart (in a really messy way), leaving me with two drawer units. The plan was to paint these units, put them on castors and plonk a large shed door on top.
It all started well enough. I gave them a light sand, then mixed up my own chalk paint - in white. Of course.
I added castors.
I painted some random numbers on it, cause I have stencils you know.
And yes, I know I put it on upside down.
This is the door I had earmarked for the top. Its half of a huge hinged garage door.
I love the chippy cream paint.
I didn't put a top on the units, just plonked this baby down on top of them. I mean, why bother, right? No one would see it.
I got all the pieces up to the living room (that is one heavy door!) and put it all together. Wayne began moving his stuff in...
I hated it. Not just cause of the upside down stencil either. It just didn't look right.
Then, while I was wondering what I should do to fix it, Wayne broke it. One of the bottom drawers got stuck on a castor lock and he heaved and broke it.
I thought about repainting it. I mean, I had to fix it anyway... but what colour?
I thought about black, but I didn't have any black. I did have dark grey... Same colour as our feature wall... I thought ok... how about I paint it dark grey?
I painted the drawer fronts first. Not sure I liked that either so I didn't paint the units.
I used offcuts of plywood, which I had planned to use to finish the TV unit, to put a top and bottom on the units. The plan this time was no castors, just a flat bottom. For the extra height needed, I put a little shelf on top. This provides a handy place for Wayne's large sketchbooks.
Its still not right. Its messy looking, but given that its a door with Z braces on the back, not much I can do about that part.
The one thing I did do to the door is attach a small piece of pine along the back to stop things rolling off behind the desk. You can just see it below, behind the lamp base.
For now its more or less finished, and I can pull it apart easily any time.
The dressmakers model and the cream Ikea trolley are mine. In case you're wondering. I'm working on a wearable art piece on the model and the trolley holds my pastels.
This is how the desk area looks now. Cosy.
But I'm still not happy with the desk. I'm thinking all black drawer units and natural timber on top would be the best way to go. I haven't painting anything black since my student days...
I need to buy black paint.
Wayne won't be happy if I pull his desk apart and start over...