Tuesday, 19 April 2016

a fancy oval chalkboard

This is the story of a makeover which didn't quite work the way I planned.

I was given this oval frame in three pieces. Its some kind of resin, not timber, so I had no idea how I would fix it.

I let it sit around for a couple of years while I pondered.

In the end I decided that cutting some thin MDF to fit inside the frame and using trusty liquid nails might be the way to go.


Well, it wasn't.

Not really.

Its holding together okay but I wasn't able to clamp it properly, so the joins aren't as good as I hoped.

They're visible. Really visible.


Oh well. Not to worry.

I got out some silver paint (I thought I had gold but didn't) and rubbed it on to try and disguise the cracks where the liquid nails was showing through. Silver looks better than liquid nails any day! I think I'll get some gold and finish it in gold at some later date.

I hung it in our entry/pantry for our shopping lists. Its not perfect, but its different, and for me a change is as good as a holiday.

It replaces a plain long oblong chalkboard I've had for years. 'Cause even a pantry deserves a bit of flashy!

z

PS Please forgive the awful photo of our yucky pantry/entry... Its taupe and dark and gloomy (as opposed to the bright fun kitchen) and I like covering our fridge in magnets!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate you taking the time to read my blog and leave feedback! Come back soon. :)