Sunday, 4 September 2016

spring on the farm


When I lived in Melbourne I'd see photos like these and I'd feel so envious. I wanted wide open spaces, grassed plains where the dogs could run and play. I'm so lucky here. (Lucky you can't see the weeds in photos!)


These are different views of our place from the bottom paddock, looking back towards the house. 



I love our place. Even when its squishy underfoot. It'll dry out soon enough... then we'll be hoping for rain.

Thanks to Google, I now know the difference between daffodils and jonquils. I'll soon forget, but while I remember here goes...

The bottom ones in this pic are jonquils, the top ones are daffodils:


These are jonquils:


These are double daffodils - my favourites:



We also have paperwhite narcissus in a couple of spots but I didn't get any decent photos of those.

A couple of years ago I planted some daffodils and snowdrops along the driveway and they are finally flowering.



The garden is beginning to pop with colour too. Like these gorgeous purple anemones:


In pink too:


There are still lots of empty spots in the garden beds though, where things are yet to grow or have died... When I get around to gardening again I have lots of work to do. More weeding, planting new stuff. Then just sitting back and enjoying the prettiness.

Ah. I love that part the most.

Oh! And the gumtree I thought would die when we dug the driveway run-off trench is doing great! Plus we have two more little gum trees coming along. Love my gum trees!


You can see the little gum tree on the side of the driveway above. One day it'll be nice and big... but hopefully we'll be long gone by the time it decides to fall over across the driveway. Gum trees have notoriously shallow roots and blow over at the slightest huff of wind.

Actually, they don't. They stand up during storms, then fall over on quiet days. At least that's the story our neighbour told us and I believe it. One quiet, totally still day last year, a huge gum tree came crashing down on the slope opposite us.

Its true!

z










1 comment:

  1. Your surroundings are gorgeous. I could spend a lot of time here watching the grass grow! Your flowers are beautiful. I love the snowdrops, daffodils and jonquils together. Our part of the world is starting to slow down. Soon, the leaves will turn — but I can wait!!! Last night we turned off the air conditioning wondering if we'd have to turn it on again today, but it's still rather on the cool side. Maybe we'll have to turn it back on this coming week, because it's supposed to get hot and humid again. We'll enjoy this cooler weather until then. Enjoy your spring! It's a lovely time of year. Thank you for showing me the views. Breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to read my blog and leave feedback! Come back soon. :)