Tuesday, 15 November 2016

i'm baaaack!


Yes, I'm back. A lot has happened around here since I last posted, but I feel in a better place to share our life, news and my projects once again.

For starters, I'd like to share the old bike I rescued from a trip to the tip. It will eventually sit in the garden but till then I've leaned it up against the porch railing and started off some plants will which one day, hopefully, explode into colour and drape all over it.

I had a couple of rusty baskets, one of which was an actual bike basket for the handlebars. I lined them with plastic after poking some holes in for drainage, and filled them with potting mix. I then plonked in some plants.

I found this pitiful looking little plant at a garage sale - the daisies are so pretty I had to have it despite its one foot in the grave appearance.


Its looking like its going to the big garden in the sky right now so I may go ahead and move it to the embankment. Daisies obviously love it there, which is great, as I love the embankment covered in daisies.

When pulling weeds I dug up and added some alysum. Love that stuff. It grows anywhere - my kind of plant - and looks like clouds of white fluff.


The front basket got a gaura which was growing in a pot - it was a cutting... well, a broken branch from one of the established plants. I added a bit of catmint for its trailing propteries. Both of those are doing well, though the gaura will need to be moved as its way too big for a bike basket.


The garden is looking amazing right now with all the spring flowers. I've been sharing tons of photos of it on Facebook but might do a separate post on the blog about it soon.

Things on the farm are great. We have 6 ducklings in Stalag 13. The ducklings were easy to catch though I did throw myself on the ground in a most undignified way in their pursuit. The mother took us all day to catch. In the end we set up a dog crate and trapped her in it. I don't think she's forgiven us yet, but the ducklings are still alive! Unlike poor Little Herman IIs ducklings which disappeared in a matter of 3 days.

Sharing Stalag 13 with the duck family is a chicken. She hatched 3 babies who unfortunately got out of the dog house she's using as a nesting box, then couldn't get back in and froze to death over night. We were so upset. We've raised chickens in there before and that never happened before. Its always something. We now have a ramp so it won't happen again. The hen is still sitting. She had 2 of her own eggs and I gave her 2 from another of the girls. Fingers crossed. More chickens would be welcome, though no more roosters. The older rooster is being hounded to death by his much bigger son. Its sad. Other than letting them sort it out I don't know what to do. Chopping one rooster's head off was suggested, but... um... no.

We have 5 goslings as well. Doris, the younger of our geese, hatched them out yesterday. Since then its been lovely to watch the group walking around the paddocks - Doris with her babies, surrounded by the boys guarding her. 

Annabelle, the older goose, is still sitting on her nest. They should hatch soon. Hank has made it his life's work to guard Annabelle. We always know which boy is Hank, he has a squinty eye so he always looks like he's watching you like a mafia boss. He's also the one out front every time we step out into the paddock warning us to behave or else.

The youngest goose doesn't have a name as we really can't tell him apart from Jethro, the other original goose. It's hard to tell pure white boys apart... At least the girls have different markings.

The horses are all in great condition thanks to all the feed in the paddocks. Wally is his usual cranky self, Dancer is as sweet as ever and she and Cass continue to dislike eachother. Little Chipmunk foundered again so he's back in the starvation paddock. He's not too impressed. We allow him into the casita (my workshop!) to get out of the weather and out of the mud when its been raining a lot. Now he's bored he's beginning to do naughty things. The other day he emptied the bag of rubbish all over the floor. I was not too impressed.

There's been no progress on the new grooming room, but hopefully I'll be taking all the rubbish/plaster to the tip soon and I can begin working on the walls. Which reminds me... where is the electrician? Hm... He was meant to come last week.

On a more personal note, I've taken time off work and am spending my days building up my home grooming business, painting, gardening, and playing with dolls.

Yes. You read that well. Dolls.

Ok, not playing as such, but remaking.

I'll share in another post once I'm ready to show the world what I've been doing. Lets just say its a new hobby for me and I'm loving it.

So there you have it. For now. See you again soon.

z

7 comments:

  1. Glad you are back - enjoy reading your adventures - love the bike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to reading more Zefi, enjoyed catching up today.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently found your blog so I am glad you are back too! Love reading your adventures!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! You're back. It looks like the land is a lot less water saturated. I hope you got through it, for the most part. It can't have been fun. I'm glad you've taken some time off work. Sometimes you don't know you need something until it's done, and now you can collect yourself once again to figure out where your life is going from here. Best wishes always, Fonda

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you're back ;) Looking forward to hearing about the doll venture/adventure.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to read my blog and leave feedback! Come back soon. :)