Monday, 14 December 2015

this year's christmas tree

Its not exactly what I'd planned, but I love it.

I had planned a 3D tree, made using old timber on a central rod. Then I found the old crib sides I used to use as dog barriers when I lived in Fentonbury and thought "hey, I'll use the slats!"...

So I cut them up for branches. I drilled holes in the middle. I cut blocks to go between the branches. I drilled holes in those. I created a base for the rod. I put it all together and went "yeech".

Then I found myself with all these cut up slats - luckily not all had holes in them - so I went for plan B.

And this is what I ended up with:


Pretty huh?

Yes, I know its a bit wonky... but you know me. Nothing is ever quite perfect. I'm of the 'close enough is good enough' school of DIY.

I used the base I cut the slats off as the bottom, I like the way it grounds it. I had to stick the trunk slat back onto the base so I used an old hinge.

I then decorated it with the timber stars I bought a few years ago and some brown, natural looking, florist wire I'd had for years (I knew I'd find the right project for it one day!)


Its hanging in the middle of the living room, right over the air conditioner. Basically, its on the only bare wall I have. I'd been wondering what I'd put there, well, problem solved for the next few weeks. Gives me time to think about future displays.


Did you notice I put the presents under the tree (on top of the air conditioner?) They won't stay there. When I clean the old grate we use to hold firewood for the wood heater I'll put the presents in that.

Don't know about you, but I love wrapping presents. I've had a thing for plain brown paper for years now, adding different embellishments each year to pretty them up. This year I made large bows from burlap ribbon and a brown linen type ribbon.

The spotted paper was something I saw at a shop while browsing... I thought "I'm not paying that for wrapping paper!" so I made my own. I love the way it looks having plain and spotted paper wrapped gifts together.

I'm all excited now. I can't wait to get stuck into getting the house ready for Christmas and mom's visit.

I've already started in the garden. There's been weeding and some new planting (to fill in gaps) and heaps of general cleaning in the yard. Still much to do on that front!

I've also started building my tv unit/room divider. 

Its a big job and I can't believe I'm doing it, but after months, years even, of thinking about it and hesitating and doubting myself, I suddenly got hit with inspiration. Before I had time to rethink it I'd measured up and gone out and bought plywood.

Its half done now. I'm thinking it'll be a work in progress. The base part is done except for putting the legs on. Then I can move it into the house. It'll need polyurethane to protect it and I'll need to do the back, but it can be used and I can rearrange the living room the way I've been planning to for ages!

Later I can build the rest of it. The idea is to make it so it can be pulled apart in case I want to move it one day, thus making it in 2 stages works for me.

But more on that later. When I have decent photos to share.

Other than that I'm doing great. Well, other than the wisdom tooth I had pulled out last Friday cause it was loose (and turns out it had an abscess). And the fact that its now more sore than it was on Saturday. Thank goodness for strong pain killers! 

I'm falling apart.

z

Shared at:





2 comments:

I appreciate you taking the time to read my blog and leave feedback! Come back soon. :)