Monday, 16 May 2016

industrial rustic table


Today I'm revisiting a project I did a couple of years ago. Not sure exactly when I made this table, but it was Wayne's second desk for quite a while.

The base of the table is an old office desk from the tip shop. The top was ruined when I got it but that was ok, I got it with the plan of putting a salvaged timber top on it. That's one plan I actually followed through on!


Up till now I've been quite lucky with salvaged timber - when we bought our farm there was tons of old wood just lying around the place, exposed to the weather and rotting away. We saved and reused, then stored what was left over. Wayne fixed and extended the stable using this wood. We revamped our woodshed using it. We've gone through a lot of it, but its not all gone yet.


I went through what's left of the timber to find 4 pieces that matched. I didn't. But I found some which were close enough. That's the beauty of rustic... it doesn't have to be perfect!

I had to brace the timber under the table to hold the slats together, and I used the holes in the metal frame to screw the top on. I then gave it a light sand to make sure there were no loose bits and to even out the worst of the wear.


Of course that ended up taking away the gorgeous grey weathered look I wanted.

Easy fixed. Using a mix of acrylic artist paints I gave the timber a wash, brushing on watery paint then rubbing it off, till I got the colour I wanted.

I used black wood putty in nail holes and filled the gaps between slats with gap filler. When that was dry I gave it a couple of coats of semi gloss polyurethane to make it easy to keep clean.


It was great as a desk. For a while. But it doesn't have drawers. So I made Wayne a new desk (the less said about that one the better!), and this one is now for sale. If I had a large kitchen I'd keep it for an industrial rustic farmhouse look... but our kitchen is too small for such a long table. Its too cool to end up as a workbench, thus I'm trying to find it a new home.

Sometimes you just have to part with things in order to make room for new creations!

z


2 comments:

I appreciate you taking the time to read my blog and leave feedback! Come back soon. :)