Sunday, 7 August 2016

indian sign

Yippee!

A project I began and finished entirely since breaking my finger!


I had this large piece of plywood, with a thin metal border from when Wayne bought a wood splitter. It arrived in a lovely ply crate which was, unfortunately, destroyed during the unwrapping stage.

I went into the garage to see the unveiling and snuck off with the intact top. I put it in the silver shed where I store a lot of 'future projects' (ie junk I have plans for) and forgot about it. For at least a year, probably closer to 2 years... A few months ago I saw it while searching for something, thus it was near the front of my mind when I was wondering what kind of project I could do with one hand.

I had always planned to paint the Indian Motorcycle logo on it for Wayne's garage. I mean, he's a cowboy, he loves anything american indian, and its a great sign for a garage...

First I undercoated it with a 3 in 1 primer, sealer undercoat I had on hand. Then I projected the image I wanted onto it so I could trace it. I'm no sign writer, I needed the help!


I worked on it in the grooming room (since it wasn't being used for grooming!) so I could keep it a surprise for Wayne. I only worked on it in spits and spurts as the inspiration and energy hit me so it took a full 3 weeks to complete.


I began painting it with artist acrylics but they didn't give a nice finish. The face and head dress (which is a pale beige but looks white in the photos) are textured and not smooth. I had to buy some tiny (and expensive) pots of water based enamel paint. Its liquid and goes on smooth. However they have limited colours - I used those for the red, yellow and black.


The sign will hang in the garage, probably be put up next weekend if we're lucky. Its something thats best admired from afar... the black outlines are a bit wobbly in places.


Wayne is pretty impressed with his gift. Its for putting up with me constantly complaining about my finger and for using it as a good great excuse for not cooking.


UPDATE

Wayne has hung the sign in the garage.



z

shared at:









2 comments:

  1. Wonderful! So you have been keeping yourself a little bit busy! My sister-in-law has a real Indian motorcycle that had belonged to her father who died many years ago. It is her pride and joy!

    I hope you two haven't been starving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great, Zefi! Thank you for sharing @Vintage Charm!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to read my blog and leave feedback! Come back soon. :)