A project I began and finished entirely since breaking my finger!
I had this large piece of plywood, with a thin metal border from when Wayne bought a wood splitter. It arrived in a lovely ply crate which was, unfortunately, destroyed during the unwrapping stage.
I went into the garage to see the unveiling and snuck off with the intact top. I put it in the silver shed where I store a lot of 'future projects' (ie junk I have plans for) and forgot about it. For at least a year, probably closer to 2 years... A few months ago I saw it while searching for something, thus it was near the front of my mind when I was wondering what kind of project I could do with one hand.
I had always planned to paint the Indian Motorcycle logo on it for Wayne's garage. I mean, he's a cowboy, he loves anything american indian, and its a great sign for a garage...
First I undercoated it with a 3 in 1 primer, sealer undercoat I had on hand. Then I projected the image I wanted onto it so I could trace it. I'm no sign writer, I needed the help!
I worked on it in the grooming room (since it wasn't being used for grooming!) so I could keep it a surprise for Wayne. I only worked on it in spits and spurts as the inspiration and energy hit me so it took a full 3 weeks to complete.
I began painting it with artist acrylics but they didn't give a nice finish. The face and head dress (which is a pale beige but looks white in the photos) are textured and not smooth. I had to buy some tiny (and expensive) pots of water based enamel paint. Its liquid and goes on smooth. However they have limited colours - I used those for the red, yellow and black.
Wayne is pretty impressed with his gift. Its for putting up with me constantly complaining about my finger and for using it as a
Wayne has hung the sign in the garage.