Sunday, 23 November 2014

a place for my jewellery


You know those days when you just have to make something, and finish it, just so you can feel like you're actually achieving something?

For so long I've been working on things which need time before I can have the satisfaction of the finished job... like working in the garden, planting seeds or working in the casita. It'll be a while before I can share the fruits of those labours... they're more work in progress (or an ongoing never ending battle).

So, I decided it was time to tackle something I could finish in a few hours.

For a while now that I've known I need somewhere to keep my jewellery. I don't have tons of it, but I do have a few things I like to wear. And when I finish wearing something I tend to hang it on the nearest doorknob.

Not ideal.

I also didn't want to make it a statement piece. I like the pretty ideas on Pinterest but didn't want something that made my jewellery a feature. So I measured the width of the wardrobe and found a long frame I had which would fit on the side. The idea being that it would be there, easy to reach but not on the wall like art.

In the spirit of quick and easy (and cheap), I didn't remove the print and replace it with something I could screw cup hooks into, I just taped up the frame and sprayed the print with gloss black (cause that's all I had and hey, silver looks good on black). I then used transparent plastic sticky hooks for hangers.

Did I mention easy?

Since the wardrobe is now white (and still unfinished), the frame looks nice with the original timber and white finish. Maybe I'll paint it one day, but it will do for now.

z

1 comment:

I appreciate you taking the time to read my blog and leave feedback! Come back soon. :)