Thursday, 21 January 2016

the living room then and now



This post has been a long time coming.

Basically cause its a big post.

And cause the before pics are rather embarassing...

But I'm taking a deep breath and here goes.

This is what our living room looked like when we moved in. After de-pinking the walls, but nothing much else was done. Stuff just plonked in. 


Yes. You may have noticed the metal poles holding up the roof.

Over the last few years I tried a whole lot of different layouts but nothing really did it for me... The TV antenna plug is in the dark grey wall under the window so I kept the TV in that general area for most of the layouts, while everything else got moved whenever I got restless.

Which was often.


The wood heater is in the middle of the room, more or less in line with the poles, further limiting my furniture placement choices.

Not to mention the need to dry things in front of the fire in winter... lovely.

Given the TV placement in that corner, we were stuck with the front part of the living room being the 'living room' area while the back part (near the kitchen pass) was the work area.


I tried the couch at a right angle from the wall, near the front door...


I tried the couch against the poles...



I tried the couch on the other side of the poles and leaving just armchairs on the TV side...

I moved every single armchair, recliner, bookcase and coffee table we own, and trust me, nothing worked.

Maybe cause we own ugly furniture.

But the poles in the middle of the room were driving me crazy!

I knew I had to do something to make the poles part of the design of the room or remove them.

Since removing them meant putting a PROPER beam across the living room ceiling which would be expensive, a room divider it had to be!

The idea for a room divider was nothing new. I'd seen the need for one the minute I walked into the house the first time. But the inspiration (and guts) to tackle it took years to hit me.

Only last month as a matter of fact as you may remember.

After thinking about building a room divider/entertainment unit and flipping the living room for approximately five years, I suddenly went out and just did it!

So here are the before and after pics.

This is what the front part of the living room looked like before:


And here it is now:


Wayne's office is now in the corner where the TV was and there's a reading corner near the door to the porch.


In the middle of the room is my brand spanking new, upcycled cd cabinet room divider, which incorporates the poles as part of the design.


When you walked into the living room from the kitchen before, this is what you saw:


Now you see this:


The divider separates the 'working area' from the 'relaxing area' of the room without cutting it in half.


Instead of this:


We now have this:


We still have ugly furniture, but we make do for now. A dropcloth makes a nice cover for the couch and I try to ignore the blue recliner. 

And yeah... I need to toss out that salmon carpet and I need bigger rugs, but for now... you got it! We make do!


I can't afford a wall of bookcases for behind the couch, so until I find the courage to build my own, I make do with what I have. Once I paint them all the same colour it won't look so bad.




The living room feels much nicer now, more comfortable. Of course I had to get used to the TV being so much closer, but its ok now. And I love the way the work area isn't the first thing you see when you walk into the living room. Its a much better layout.

Its not perfect... but it'll do for now!

(till the next time I get restless!)

z

2 comments:

  1. The room divider looks so sophisticated! I love it, and the furniture placement is so different because of where it is. I love the idea of a "working" side and a "relaxing" side. And, the divider helps so much! A solid wall would make the areas seem so much smaller, but this is open...but not. You can still talk to each other even if you are in different areas of the room {without yelling}! You must be so proud! You did such a nice job! And, I can see into the kitchen where those wonderful open shelves are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, we like it a lot and the room feels so much better.

      Delete

I appreciate you taking the time to read my blog and leave feedback! Come back soon. :)