Sunday, 2 March 2014

a quick shot of power tools

I mentioned that the other day I got distracted from pulling nails out of the kitchen floor by the fact that I could finally reach my power tools.


Hello circular saw! Hey there jigsaw! Nice to see you again grinder! I sure have missed you guys!

So, while I was there admiring them, patting them, etc, I remembered that I'd promised Wayne I'd put a lid on the box he stores chaff in for the horses. Its a raised garden bed box made of pallet wood that we got (in pieces) from the Men's Shed in New Norfolk. That's a community based place where men can go and bond over power tools, as well as learn new skills.

Anyway, Wayne had put this together, lining it better so it would hold the chaff, but he'd never put a lid on it. Up till recently we'd been using pieces of leftover flooring as a lid and moving them out of the way to reach in.

I'd been hit on the head by a falling 'lid' a few times...

It was time for a proper lid.

I'd gotten some pieces of laminate flooring from a friend and one piece was almost the right size. Using that and a piece of old timber I'd found, I created a proper lid. I attached the bit of timber to the end to give the lid something to hinge off, then trimmed the lid to the right size.


Since the flooring is that click together stuff, I had to reinforce it with bits of pine that came out of the kitchen. I glued and screwed those into the back to give the lid strength.

Then I used some gorgeous big old hinges I'd picked up from a tip shop. (I tell you, my tip shop finds always come in handy!).


The flooring and the timber slat were different thicknesses, so to make the hinges fit properly I had to pack it up a bit. For this I used some of the masonite we've been pulling off the kitchen floor.

Waste not, want not!

Lastly, I found an old handle among my collection of junk, and voila! A working lid. Not perfectly finished, but hay (pun intended!), the horses don't mind.

No more head bashing cause now when you open it, the piece of timber on the end allows the lid to sit back against the wall with the right lean so it won't slam back down.

z







No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate you taking the time to read my blog and leave feedback! Come back soon. :)