Thursday, 6 March 2014

the first coat and sore knees - kitchen update


I have just spent the entire day shuffling along on my butt and knees sanding the kitchen floor.

Ok. Not the entire day but a bloody good portion of it.

I tore two #40 grit belts doing just one corner this morning, but they must have just been cheapies. I had to go into town to buy new ones and one of them lasted the rest of the floor. Mind you, they cost twice as much... After the #40 I went over it again with #120, then swept, vacuumed and wiped the dust off the floor before putting on the first coat of varnish cause the tin said 'make sure floor is clean and free of dust'.

I don't think this house will ever be free of dust. Ever again.

In fact, I think I'll be finding dust in things for the next 5 years.

I am not looking forward to cleaning up, but unfortunately that's what my life has become lately: Move things, clean, move things to somewhere else, clean again.

One day it will all be over. And it'll be totally worth it!

As you can see, the floor has plenty of 'character'. That's what we DIY renovators like to call things which are old, stained, imperfect.



The square 'patch' is very visible. There were stains and mucky stuff under the old cabinets but I didn't worry too much about them as they'll be covered by the new cabinets. Unfortunately there were a couple of stains which will be visible... No amount of sanding would get rid of them. Probably sump oil or something equally inexplicable.

After all, this is the house where I found sump oil in the garden when I went to plant my hydrangeas.

I can deal with that. Its just more character.

Tomorrow Handyman is coming over to patch the holes he put in the wall when he did the plumbing, I'll fill holes and hopefully do another coat.

At least that's the plan.

z


No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate you taking the time to read my blog and leave feedback! Come back soon. :)