Sunday, 28 September 2014

sag drag and fall

(as opposed to flip flop and fly)

I have no idea what's wrong with me.

I can't seem to find the energy to do anything. Or the desire to try to find the energy.

Yesterday I did get one paint of topcoat on the woodwork in the tiny hallway (4 door frames) and the window in the bathroom. But I was seriously dragging my feet as I did it and then I forgot to wash the brushes cause I got sidetracked feeding dogs and feeding and rugging horses...

I did 4 loads of washing, groomed two dogs, cleaning the living room and tried an alternate furniture arrangement (it sucked) and sprayed all the weeds I could using one full load of the backpack sprayer. Then it rained and all my good work went down the drain.

I didn't even bother trying to get the clothes in off the line.

Ok, when I list the things I did yesterday it doesn't sound like I was lazy, but trust me... I was. This is not normal behaviour for me. I get up in the morning and I start doing stuff, starting with feeding animals, then moving on to whatever I have in my mind for the day... usually changing them as I go cause I get distracted and sidelined. Like weeding. I see a huge weed and grab the weeder, then, before I know it, half an hour has gone by.

Normally, I'd be painting in the hallway, cleaning or organising things in the house, then I'd find a project I want to do and get onto that. Somewhere along the line I still manage to finish the cleaning and organising jobs I start and do a second coat of paint.

Right now I'm finding I really have to push myself to get off my butt.

Then, instead of getting online and posting on the blog or catching up with all the emails in my inbox, I watch tv like a couch potato.

Wayne says its cause I need to rest.

I say its cause I'm feeling a bit down when things don't work out. Like the living room re-arrangement. Or the waste of weed spraying.

This morning I gave myself permission to be lazy. I got up, fed animals, pooperscooped the yard, did some weeding (see? all it takes is a walk across what passes as a lawn and I can't help myself), put up some wire trellis for the sweet peas which didn't hear that they were supposed to die in winter and are trying to crawl up the porch rails. I also put a trellis up for the jasmine which I want to encourage to grow up the side of the casita.

Its blowing a gale out there and I am trying to convince myself to do another coat on the woodwork (do I really need to? Its just a tiny hallway. Will anyone notice?) or something else productive. Like sew a liner into the large laundry basket I got. Or clean up the wire shelf thingy I got for the office. Oh and tidy the office. Again. And clean the kitchen. And bathroom. And bedroom.

Or maybe just pick one of those and do that.

Right now I just don't really care to do anything.


However, just so this isn't an entirely boring whining post, here's a little something I did to the kitchen wall last week during one of those short bursts of inspiration and energy. I put my two antique food covers and a grain sieve I bought in Greece (you'll recognise this one Zef) on the wall above the cupboard in the kitchen.

I've had these for a few years now but never had anywhere to put them. Now they have a spot and when I need them I can just use the new stepladder to get them down.

Yes, a new stepladder. I realised that the 60s stool/stepladder I have is probably not as strong as it should be for me to climb up to reach high places... I bought a folding stepladder which is slim enough to fit in the gap between the pantry and the wall in our tiny entry way. Its already come in really handy. I've used it to organise the pantry last weekend and while painting in the hallway.

Here are some photos of the hallway with the newly painted walls (which should really have had a third coat but I ran out of paint and its only a tiny hallway anyway, who will notice?

I decided to hang some of my fruit labels above the doorways to cheer the place up a bit. This is above the office door.


Above the bathroom and kitchen doors where I need to put a nice light fitting. Love my Tasmanian fruit label with a poodle on it! Ironically I bought it on ebay from the USA many years ago.


Last, the living room door and the spare room door (on the right).


I know have a blank wall on the left where I'm considering putting some hooks for our bags so they don't sit on the floor or any available surface in the kitchen.

Here's a look at the ugly, but now organised, pantry in our squishy entry.


When I was doing this last week I made a small shelf out of some leftover bamboo flooring to double the space for the small containers.


I think I know what my problem is... power tool withdrawal. I need to make something. I felt energised when I made the stupid little shelf last week. But I can't make anything till I clean out the casita so I can actually get to the power tools. And find anything else I need.

Maybe I'll have more energy tomorrow.

z

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate you taking the time to read my blog and leave feedback! Come back soon. :)