Sunday, 29 December 2013

retaining walls and eliminating glassware

Things are progressing... Every day is a small step forward.

Wayne's been working really hard on the new retaining wall. This is how it looked yesterday when he stopped for the day. 


He worked in the heat all day to get this far. He's definitely a better man than I am! Even the small bit of heat I got was enough to knock me out.

Today the weather is cold and windy. It rained most of the night too. It is Tasmania after all. 

But I'm not complaining. 

Anyway, this morning we went in to the hardware store where Wayne bought 24 bags of concrete mix. I bought 2 towel rails. 

Turns out I wasn't quite done in the bathroom yet.

While Wayne continued on the retaining wall, getting all the posts in, I put up two towel rails. 

Till now I've had an over the door type of coat rack for Wayne to hang his towels and 2 hooks on the wall for mine. I was sick of knocking Wayne's towels off the coat hooks every time I walked past them. Plus I much prefer rails to hang towels on, so today I made the leap. I know that one day I'll be re-doing the bathroom, but till then I may as well make it more bearable. And I'm definitely liking it with the new shelves.

I'd like to say it was quick and easy. I've done this before. But once again it was a comedy of errors, putting the fittings on backwards, putting screws in, taking them out, re-doing things. You get the picture. At one stage I was sure I was going to hit an electric cable so I put on rubber gloves and rubber soled shoes, told everyone I loved them, closed my eyes and drilled.

Luckily I didn't hit anything.

But Wayne did.

He hit another water pipe.

I told you, the guy should hire himself out as a water diviner. With a crowbar instead of a rod.

Luckily he hit it but didn't puncture it. Thankfully. Herman Too is too young to hear the foul language that puncturing the pipe would have brought forth.

Did I mention Herman Too is back in the bathroom?

We released him the other day and he ran to the other ducklings in his slightly off-kilter way. They didn't shun him for living in the big house. All was well. 

Or so we thought.

Yesterday afternoon, after the weather had turned cool, I was watering my flowers when I noticed two ducklings in a deep water bowl. One hopped out. The other was soaking wet and did not look good.

Have you ever seen a soaking wet duckling? I sure hadn't and I was sure he was a goner.


I fished him out of the bowl, gave him to Wayne to dry and warm up while I went in search of the large plastic tub, the heating pad and blankets. The poor little thing couldn't even walk, he just kind of crawled. I was sure he wouldn't make it. But he did. He's back to being chirpy and a bit brave.

Looks like Herman Too has moved back in. I suspect he'll be here till he goes to college.


Maybe he can be our house duck.

(I'm still pretty sure Herman Too is a girl.)

Other than that, I spent most of the day today cleaning the kitchen. And by cleaning I don't mean washing dishes and floors (though I did that too). I mean clearing out cupboards.

The work in the kitchen will be done. I need to start preparing. All the top cupboards are empty now since they'll be the first to go. I packed up a ton of stuff we don't need on hand and filled up boxes with things to go away.

Getting there slowly.

z


No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate you taking the time to read my blog and leave feedback! Come back soon. :)