Wednesday, 4 December 2013

what to do with an old rubbish bin lid


One day, not too long ago, I found this galvanised iron lid at the tip shop.

I just had to have it. I loved the colour. Or should I say 'discolouration'? It was marked with old paint and rust and who-knows-what-you'd-rather-not-know-about.

It was wonderful.


I took it home, gave it a good wash, a bit of a scrape with steel wool and it was clean but still colourfully trashy.

Since it was magnetic (see magnet on right hand side of above photo), I thought it'd be ideal as a magnet board for photos or notes or whatever...

But there was a handle in the middle. What to do with that?


Make it into a 'whatever' holder!!!


(I did mention I had a whole LOT of birdwire, didn't I?)



I drilled a couple of holes on the top and bent some wire to make a hanging hook, and done.

The photos are my dad and a friend in cowboy costumes, and my mom and her brother at a dance.

I found a couple more lids at another tip shop a couple of weeks ago and grabbed them. Both of these ones sold at the last market. They were simpler versions of the one above - ie magnetic boards with a hanging hook. They came with 3 magnets made from buttons.



These two were reversible... you could pick which side you wanted to hang as the front - I love both colours. The old galvanised metal as well as the old fashioned green paint.

z

Shared at: 

http://www.funkyjunkinteriors.net/2013/12/salvaged-junk-christmas-candles.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed:%20blogspot/KCcu%20%28Funky%20Junk%20Interiors%29
 



2 comments:

  1. Love that old lid and what a great display item. I have two wooden ones and am at a loss as how to use them. They are time-worn and wonderful, so maybe this gives me an idea.
    Blessings and Merry Christmas.
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Audrey! I think the wooden lids sound wonderful. They make nice trays as well if they don't have handles.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to read my blog and leave feedback! Come back soon. :)