Wednesday, 5 February 2014

redlands - dream garden


There's a place just outside New Norfolk which I've always wanted to visit, and last weekend Wayne and I finally found the time to go and have a look around. Its called Redlands and used to be a huge farm with lots of outbuildings like its own blacksmith, bakery, distillery, etc.


It still has a distillery where they make their own whiskey and schnapps. Good stuff. Oh, and the bakery is also a going concern now - its not open for visitors but it bakes artisan bread which is sold through some local shops.


You know I'm a sucker for old signs.


And old buildings. The distillery shop is inside what looks like it may have once been a dairy, wonderful stone floors and thick stone walls. Unfortunately the photos I took inside suck.

This is part of the distillery.




Then of course there are tons of old buildings, some in better conditions that others. I'm not sure if they're in use or not.


This is the old oast house.


This is the workers' quarters. Amazing. There's talk they want to restore these rooms as tourist accommodation. 



I love it all. Especially the garden. Its the kind of garden I dream of... the kind of garden I would have loved to grow up with. Its the kind of garden fairies flit around in and leprechauns live in.



There are trees with branches which hang down to the ground, creating ideal secret hiding places... love the sitting area comprised of tree stumps under these birches.


The ducks enjoy a bit of shade on a hot day.


No garden is complete without a cubby house!



And the flowers! Huge trees with hydrangeas growing happily underneath them.




Stone wall fences and more hydrangeas... old fashioned and new varieties. Beautiful. And much happier than mine in the shade of the big trees.


If I had this canopy over my garden I'd spend more time sitting in the garden reading or just relaxing.


I love Redlands. Our garden will never look like that. But hopefully I'll soon have a garden full of pretty flowers and interesting corners. And an area to sit and relax in the shade.

z

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate you taking the time to read my blog and leave feedback! Come back soon. :)