Friday, 28 February 2014

its all happening - kitchen update


Yesterday was one heck of a busy day. And every busy day begins with a busy day before cause I had to remove everything that wasn't nailed down from the kitchen.

That means I had to empty all cupboards and find a spot for the necessities (toaster, jug, coffee) and rudimentary food prep and cleaning. We now have a temporary kitchen area in the office and are washing up in the bathroom sink.

Handyman got here early in the morning and we removed the rest of the kitchen cabinets, then he started removing the flooring - vinyl and masonite.

I helped. I got down on the floor and started removing nails. Fun job.


The kitchen is a real mess. We have holes in the walls, electrical cords taped to the wall (my idea to keep them off the ground where the dogs can touch them, even though they're capped off). Speaking of caps, Handyman forgot to bring the caps for the taps so he had to put the tap back on so we could have water in the house without also having a swimming pool in the kitchen. Bet you've never seen a mixer tap used like this before!


We found that the bump on the floor is because there's a rectangle of boards that was put in later or something. The joist along the wall in that area is about 1/2 inch lower than the rest, creating a wierd dip. The previous owners found it easier to trim the baseboards than to do the floor properly.

So my plan of sanding the floor this weekend goes out the window. I don't think it'll be smart to hire a sander for the weekend hoping that Handyman gets the floor issue sorted out on Saturday... Who knows what we'll find when the floor comes up...

What did I say about this job growing with everything we start and can't finish?

The electrician arrived to do a bit more wiring work. I somehow found the only electrician in Tasmania who believes in drip feeding his work. Seriously, he keeps calling to say he needs to come around and do something, does a small amount of work, then comes again a few days later to do a bit more.

Maybe he just likes my company!

Well, he's a nice guy, neat, does a good job. And he likes country music. Anyone who likes Dwight Yoakam is a friend of mine. As long as it all comes together at the end I'll be happy. He can't finish the job till Aurora comes to move the electricity meter. Then he has to connect the stove and he's done.

I had advertised the kitchen online and a guy came with a truck and a friend to pick it up. Thank goodness cause the porch was chockablock and I hadn't been able to access my workshop area for weeks.


With all those cabinets gone, I was finally able to get to my power tools and I'm afraid that proved to be a temptation too hard to resist. I never finished pulling nails in the kitchen... I got distracted.


I'll share my creations later. Meanwhile Wayne has been warned to stay out of the kitchen and I'm feeling better even though I have to make toast in my office and have aching hands.

Being creative makes my day.

z

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate you taking the time to read my blog and leave feedback! Come back soon. :)