Saturday, 15 February 2014

sink-ing............

 

Today I spent the entire day looking at sinks. our kitchen guy said the cabinets would be ready in 3 weeks. A week ago. So I went shopping for a sink.

I started out unsure about what I wanted. By the end of the day I was unsure of who I was.

See, I thought I had the sink sorted.

Firstly, I wanted a double bowl sink. But I've managed for 3 years with a single bowl and it hasn't killed me. Then I decided I won't need 2 bowls. I'll have a dishwasher.

I planned to go with a laundry tub - single bowl, big, deep. No drainboard, but my sink in Fentonbury didn't have a drainboard and I managed for 8 years with no permanent scars. I still have the plastic white drainboard I bought for there. We could use that till I find something prettier.

Then our kitchen guy recommended a Franke sink, single bowl, with a bowl almost as big and deep as a laundry tub, with the added bonus of drainboard as well. Yay.

Today I found out that they need to order that sink from Melbourne. They say 7-10 days delivery.

So, do I go ahead and order it and risk the sink not arriving in time for the kitchen installation?

Wayne doesn't want to risk it...

I spent the day looking for alternatives. Prices vary wildly from under $100 to over $1000.

I'm not insane. I'm not willing to pay more than the cost of the Franke sink ($396) if I'm to pick an alternative. The idea would be to find something cheaper and save money, right?

This is where things started to go downhill.

Single sink? One and 3/4 sink? Drainboard or no drainboard? Bigger, deeper sink or shallower and smaller overall?

WAH!

I'm surprised I'm not still lying in the middle of the hardware kitchen aisle in a fetal position sucking my thumb....

I did what any normal (slightly OCD*) person would do.

I made up a comparison table.

Hey. It worked for me when I was buying my first new car. It should work when I find myself unable to make a decision for something that costs 1/100,000,000th of that.

By making a table, doing hands on research, pushing Google to its limits and driving a good friend to drink, I managed to narrow it down to a choice of 3 single bowl sinks. The Franke and 2 others which are smaller overall but still with good sized bowls and nice designs.

Too rounded?

Better?

Then I realised the bench top won't be ready for installation in two weeks. If the kitchen is actually being installed in two weeks. We are talking about tradesmen here... We could put the old sink in the temporary bench top till the new bench top is finished and the sink arrives... I can still get the Franke.

Easy.

It should be easy. Right?

z

*Tell me... is it normal to count everything? Is it possible to be 'slightly OCD' or have OCD tendencies? I count everything. I count snips when I trim pom poms. I count mugs as I rinse them. I count brushstrokes when I brush my teeth.

Basically, I count when my mind isn't busy doing anything else.

Is that normal? Should I have my head examined?





1 comment:

  1. You should have your head examined...because I've been a 'counter' all my life and look at me!

    You're in trouble.

    And I like the upper photo of the two above.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to read my blog and leave feedback! Come back soon. :)