Friday, 1 May 2015

small things, big impact - improved phone charging station


Its a new month and I've had an idea. I'm going to share the small things I've been doing lately that make life a little better around here. Its mostly those small things which I've been meaning to do for weeks, months, years... that I'm finally making a point of getting around to.

Ok, don't cringe. I probably still won't post daily, but for the month of May I'm challenging myself to not only finish a few of the niggly jobs I've been putting off for ages, but also to share them in the hopes that I'll inspire someone to get up off the couch and fix that loose hinge, broken door handle (darn, that reminds me...) or whatever.

I actually started on this challenge last weekend, before I knew it was actually a challenge. Now its all up to me to keep up the momentum.

So, here is Day 1.

Improved phone charging station

I like to change things around a bit... Most of the time I re-arrange furniture (which Wayne LOVES), but I also like to update, change and re-make things I've got.

Like this phone station. I made this last year to hold the phone and as a place to charge up our mobile phones. Back then we had normal dumb phones.

Now we have smartphones and they're bigger than the old ones...

BTW, who saw that coming? Mobile phones kept getting smaller and smaller, then suddenly the trend was reversed and they got bigger and bigger, the bigger the better.

With the new mobile phones and kindles all needing charging...

...and there's another thing. Back when mobile phones were small and stupid, every single phone had a different charger cause heaven forbid they made things universal. Every household in the world had a drawer full of mobile phone chargers which didn't fit any phone in the family.

Now, the kindles and smartphones use the same chargers. Will wonders never cease!

So anyway, as I was saying, the new smartphones and kindles didn't fit on the narrow shelf which used to hold the old mobiles. And sitting them on the top shelf was to risk them sliding off and breaking.

It was time for an update.

This is what it looked like before:


This is what it looks like now with the addition of a couple of timber strips across the front, making a safe charging space.



A small, simple change which makes life a little easier, or neater.

Now if I could just convince Wayne that we should never cook in the kitchen, I might be able to keep the entire room neat...

z

Shared at:


4 comments:

  1. I love a charging station. You have the perfect one here. The cords are well hidden and the combination of wood and paint make it even more unique. I love the Mickey and Mini retro figures on top. I think I used to have something like that as a child. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Project Challenge. You've inspired me to clean up my own -so called- charging station. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Holly! I enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How perfectly clever! I haven't liked the looks of most docking stations...but this one is awesome! Thank you for sharing at Project Challenge!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie uses a cell phone that is small and dumb as a box of rocks. She likes it that way. It's a pay-as-you-go and costs us about $23 for about 3-4 months. I have one and have used it once when I traveled — a just-in-case phone. I am afraid of it. Neither one of us wants to be that accessible, so we don't follow the trend. This doesn't mean that we shouldn't make a little charging station. I will have to think on this. Katie has a few things that need charging, but not many. No Kindle, but an iPod for her music. Hmmm...thinking on this. Yours is great! I think I remember you making this way back when. New and improved works much better for what you need it for now.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to read my blog and leave feedback! Come back soon. :)